What is the number one thing that parents want for their kids? To be healthy. I know that is my number one focus, followed closely by their happiness. But how do we make sure that our children are raised to be healthy and happy? We need to set a good example for them. By setting a good example for them we need to be sure that we are staying healthy too which means being more active! That is a bonus because that means lots of fun activities together, which is going to make your family happier in the long run.
Healthwise though, maintaining at least one hour of physical activity each day helps children to grow strong muscles and bones as well as keep them at a healthy weight. As it turns out, adults get these same benefits from physical activity so it is a win-win.
If you are looking for the best ways to stay active with your family, check out these 12 tips for staying active and fit with your kids:
- Go for family walks. Start when the kids are still in a stroller and they will never know not to stay active. On nice days take the family out for an evening stroll after dinner.
- Go to the park. Kids love going to the park. First of all, that time that they are spending with their parents is priceless. Second, kids are non-stop go go go at the park. Whether they are running around in the grass or climbing the playground equipment, they are being active and having fun.
- Walk them to school. If you live close enough to your children’s school, be sure and walk them there as often as possible.
- Go for a family bike ride. Take the entire family out on a bike ride. Cycling has many benefits healthwise, but it is also just a lot of fun.
- Sign them up for sports. Joining a little league team or sport that they like instills a sense of commitment to exercise in your kids. You can join the fun too! Either help out on the team or practice with them at home.
- Keep a frisbee and a ball in your car. If you are out for a drive and stop at a park or a beach, you can pull out the frisbee and play some catch.
- Go swimming with them in the summer. Do you remember how much you loved swimming when you were young? Kids love to spend their summertime playing in the water and it’s great exercise.
- Go sledding in the winter. No need to stay indoors when it gets cold out. Plan a sledding or skiing trip when the snow flies. Both of these activities are great exercise.
- Walk the dog. If you have a dog, make sure that your canine family member gets plenty of exercise too! Put fido on a leash and head out for a nice stroll with the kids.
- Plan a sports night. One night of the week, let a family member choose a sports activity that the entire family with take part in. Maybe a basketball game, frisbee golf or even going bowling.
- Turn chores into a game. Why not play a game of “how fast can we clean our rooms?” You are getting chores done, plus it’s turned into a race so the kids will be moving.
- Schedule activities. On your days off, be sure to schedule activities. Don’t just let the weekend come and go with you just watching TV. Plan to do it and it will be more likely to happen.