Are you about to, or, have you recently entered your 30s? It’s ok, you don’t have to be afraid to admit it. With your 30s though, it does tend to come with more thinking about your health. Luckily for us just because we have reached the big 3-0 doesn’t mean that you stop being able to get fit. Even if you haven’t given any thought to working out for years, that doesn’t mean you can’t start now.
Here are 10 tricks for getting fit in your thirties.
- Eat less. Here’s the thing. In our twenties, we tend to be more active, which allows us to eat more food. When we hit our thirties and start working behind a desk and overall being less active, we need to rethink our diets. Less active = less food.
- Curb specific unhealthy eating. No I don’t mean that you need to do a fad diet or only eat lettuce. The fact is though, that some dietary changes are more beneficial to us in our 30s than they would have been for us 5-10 years ago. For example, curb your salt intake. Too much sodium can lead to bone loss, and salt also contributes to water retention, which is not ideal if you are trying to lose weight.
- Start yoga. Yoga has many benefits that have been proven time and again. It can strengthen your core, improves circulation, flexibility and more. Since at this age we tend to sit behind a desk all day, these are all benefits than can help us.
- Push harder. One of the most beneficial things about getting older is the wisdom that comes with it. You now know that you can and you should push yourself just a little bit harder. So do it. Run that extra half mile, do just one more set of pushups, etc.
- Build muscle. Being fit is not about being skinny. It is about having a healthy body and for that you need to have muscle. Building muscle is especially beneficial for women. Weight bearing exercise helps maintain our muscle mass and our bone density as we age.
- Focus on the inside. Again, this is not about being skinny, it is about being healthy. Make life choices that will help you become a healthier person and the outside of the body will start to match that.
- Find a workout that you love. There are countless exercises out there. You are in your 30s now, there is no need to spend your time on anything you don’t like doing. Take some time to figure out which type of exercise you enjoy and then focus on that. Life is too short for a boring workout.
- Pay attention to injuries. As much as I hate admitting it, injuries honestly do not heal as well as we get older. If you twist your ankle, stop and take care of it. Do not, I repeat, do not just try to walk it off. It’s not unheard of for a sprained ankle to still be hurting 5 years later.
- Take up swimming. Remember those injuries I was just talking about? Swimming is a great way to workout while not causing injury to your joints.
- Check out HIT (High Intensity Interval Training). I get it. You are busy and you don’t have time for the gym. Did you know that a HIT Training workout of just 20 minutes can do a lot for your fitness goals? High Intensity Interval Training is a great way to burn calories and build muscle all in a short time so it doesn’t affect your schedule.
Many have said that your 30s is the best time in life. Make sure you enjoy it.