In Northern Norway we have a period of time called mørketid (dark time). From mid November until Mid February we are sunless the sky stills gets a little lighter but we don’t see the sun. It can be dark and difficult days if you let it. Fortunately for us we have a bit of a saving grace. It’s called Koselig. I love the concept (although it is so much more) of being koselig.
What is Koselig?
Unfortunately there is no direct translation into English. The word that comes to explaining it is cozy. However cozy doesn’t do the word justice. It is so much more than just a word or phrase. It is a way of life. If you have heard of the Danish concept of Hygge it is the same idea as Koselig.
It’s about invoking the feelings of warmth and coziness by celebrating the simple things in life. Vision wrapping yourself up in the thick chunky blanket. While sitting in front of a fire. Most importantly it’s about family and spending technology free quality time with them.
How you can you introduce koselig into your life:
- Build a wood burning fire– There is nothing better than a wood burning fireplace. The warmth from the fireplace creates a perfect environment for a peaceful and relaxing environment. Here in Norway just about every household has a wood burning fireplace. It really adds to the mood and it is perfect for a winter night to curl up in front of and to read a fantastic book.
- Pick up an enchanting read- While most of the time the feeling of koselig is a family affair and should be shared with family and friends there are a few times when you can enjoy it by yourself and one of these ways is by picking up an enchanting read.
- Knit some wool socks- I swear everyone in Norway (okay maybe not everyone but a lot of people) knit and the most common thing they knit is wool socks for those cold and snowy evenings.
- Drink something warm- Grab something warm to drink like coffee and tea and curl up in front of that wood burning fire place.
- Write in a journal- I love sitting in front of the fireplace and writing in a journal. Writing really helps to keep me sane. It doesn’t matter if it makes complete sense. I just write and write until I feel better.
- Bake Something- The smell of freshly baked anything definitely is very koselig. So get into the kitchen and do a little baking. Not only will you whip up something delicious but it will have your whole home smelling amazing as well.
- Get Outside- One of our favorite ways to have a koselig life is to get outside. We go snowboarding, snowmobiling, sledding and maybe eventually skiing (at least for me).
These are my top 7 ways to introduce koselig into your life of course there are many more ways. Of course there is one more small way that I didn’t mention above and that is candles. So get those homemade candles out and remember being koselig is something that works for you and creates this wonderful feeling inside of yourself so find what works for you.
Creating an environment that is koselig is easy and doesn’t take much. The benefits that come with the environment though are out of this world. The peace and comfort starts radiating throughout every aspect of your life. Creating a koselig life is a goal we should all strive to achieve. It will help us all be happier and healthier.
What do you think of the idea of koselig? What ways can you implement koselig in your home and life?